Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Pony goes under the Axe.

My pony...oh my ponytail...why o why did it have to go??
I cannot see myself in the mirror anymore.Makes me break down.

I had made sure that I grew my hair for atleast 5-6 months ..My last haircut was in the first week of April before my submissions in the 4th sem and the next visit to the barber was scheduled to happen sometime this year but was definitely nowhere in sight..

There was no chance that my mom asked me for a haircut during my sem exams in April and May and so I managed the first 2 months. After that I managed to give my mother the lame excuse that there was no barber at the place I had gone to for my industrial internship during the summer vacations. And she fell for that. So another 2 months of long hair..

Joined back college and people started realising that my hair was terribly long...considering I had exposed them to too much of my crew cuts in the 1st year. I had good amount of hair in the 2nd year, but nothing compared to the present state of my head.

Now that mom was seeing me everyday...I knew the 'call of duty' was nearby. And so it came..the 1st one.I don't exactly remember the date though (..there are just too many to remember anyway !!) ..It must have been somewhere around the last week of July. It was rather mild.. this one.The next one came rather too soon. Got 2 'calls' in the 1st week of august. Tried appealing to Dad..he managed to get me some time. Approximately 2 weeks , during which all that mom did was to keep giving me a thousand mild reminders every other day.

Now August almost got over in these milder versions of the 'calls'. 
29th August 2008, and Rock On was released. Went and watched it First Day First Show. When I came back I demanded a head band a la Farhan Akhtar . I was so much into the movie that I didnot realise that I was asking for trouble. Well everybody at home just laughed it off as another of my frivolous demands. But September came and mummy dear started to realise that now I had hair long enough for a head band atleast. During the meantime my hair kept falling onto my face. Every day when I used to sit at the dining table , mom would be the first to notice my mane and try and extract out a date from me. A fateful date when I would make myself look more 'civilized' ( ...in her words..). She even insisted on calling a pandit for fixing up a 'shubh' muhurat for this immensely important activity.
The only time that there would be some peace at home would be when mom would see me coming out fresh from my bath, looking neat & tidy. September came and went away. Tests and fests kept me occupied the whole time and so I had little time to worry about my hair.

October 1st and 2nd. The only two days when I had a ponytail. Some of my friends who saw me with the pony were suprised at me being able to carry it off so well. They wanted me to keep it. I wanted to keep it too. But then when have things worked your way...Murphy's Law always beats me to it. "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time in the worst possible way."

I never had a slice of bread
That did not fall upon the floor
and always on the buttered side.

--KS

2nd October, a Mahatma was born to liberate the people. Well, I got the ultimatum to get rid off my long hair. 
The date : 5th October,2008. The smile on the barber's face. The smile on my mother's face. And the expression on my face...they said it all. My 2-day old ponytail went under the axe, gracefully.
  RIP : Here lies a loved pony.

For those of you who never managed to see my pony...I'd say BAD LUCK.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ya ...;u can say a bad luck ...becoz i just want to see d blunder u have done to ur hair before ur hair cut ...n d incident is written nicely ....:P

ekta said...

ohh... so now ur a civilized guy ... ( in the words of ur mom :P ) bad luckk ... so u kno u should hav taken a picture of urs withh ur ponyy... for a lifetime memory... and u could change the bad luckk of the people not been ablee to see u " uncivilized " :P and ya... really well written :)

Poulomi said...

guess what, its just hair... will grow back! :P!

arya said...

hahahah dude the pony was cool.......but its better to get warned by mom then buy the devil kareemi....right??