Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hair colouring on a Scooter


Now I know people try and do strange things just to get the "look" but this one was the strangest by far. Getting your hair coloured just outside somebody's front door. And that too sitting on the backseat of a Chetak ( refer : Bajaj's brand of scooters..used to see them when we were children ).

The other day when I was coming back from the bank and I entered my lane , a very strange scene met my eye. The housekeeper of a hostel in my lane was getting his hair dyed from the guard opposite to his house.
Preety neat, I would say. All that they were doing was concentrating on the "colouring" process and not what I or anybody else for that matter , was thinking . Well I just walked past them like I do everyday. Greeted them in the usual manner. And they reciprocated in their own way. Now I was particularly fascinated by what was happening there so I decided I would continue watching them for a while. The next 5 mins I stood at my balcony and looked at them utterly amazed at the simplicity and my thoughts ventured off towards "my India.." The things that happen here..

Makes me remember the fun people have getting their hair cut under a banyan tree. Where else in the world does stuff like this happen ? Even I happened to get it done once, when I was rather young. 

In the evening , they were at the same spot talking to possibly another client and I casually walked upto them and had this pleasant converstaion. (It has to be in Hindi to keep the meaning alive)

Me : Baal kaafi kaale lag rahe hai aapke ..kya baat hai ?
House keeper : Ab ye guard sahab dye itni badiya lagate hai ki puucho mat.
Me : Itne badiya to market me betha naai bhi nahi kar pata. 
Guard : Aapne bhi apne baal dye karvane ki koshish ki thi? 
Me : Arre nahi bhaiya ! Main kyo aisa karunga ? Main to bas generally keh raha tha. Aapke haatho ka me to jaadu hai.
Guard : Thank You ji. Aap buddhe ho jaoge to muje hi bula lia karna baal dye karvaane.
Me : Kyoo nahi !! Pakka. 

And we all laughed.. 

For all of you--->>> 
GO GET YOU HAIR COLOURED ON THE BACKSEAT OF A CHETAK. and you'll know.

1 comment:

neha said...

This defintly has to be Ganga Ram.. the letcher more than housekeeper at the hostel. Interesting tale there. Keep up the good work.