Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Joys of Freshly Toasted Bread!



I had to put this picture up! Just to keep myself from going into the kitchen again and toasting a few more slices! I am a total sucker for Bread and Butter! And freshly toasted bread.... ooooh baby! I'd die for it!

Its been my childhood love I'd confess! History dates this unusual obsession with the fluffly flour preparation to 1998 A.D. We used to have a red-colored "National" toaster. I remember mummy preparing toasted bread and serving it to us with our evening milk. I would just love the butter melting on the hot bread. We would then lick it off from the face of the bread. Ahha!

The toaster gave up after some years and we shifted to toasting breads on the "tawa" (the pan on which you make chapattis/rotis) ! The tawa-toasted ones have a very sizzler-ey touch to them. You spread butter on a bread piece and put its buttered face on the hot tawa. It pops and sizzles, gets the ethereal yellow-brown colour and the butter gets soaked right in. Delicious, I tell you! By the time I grew up, I had perfected my own technique, since I always felt that the traditional tawa toasting consumed a lot more butter and the 'zaika' wasn't really there. But Tawa toasted breads have been an integral part of my evening milk snack since ages yore.

2010 A.D. My appetite for the tawa toasted ones had jaded. Plus 2010 saw the "Return of the Toaster". Two incidents worth remembering..
1. Sam's place after a Dil Chahta Hai watching night saw us preparing our morning snack on his toaster which just wouldn't pop up the bread and which had the uncanny knack of giving the bread eaters electric shocks when you tried to be smart with it..

2. After our last exam we headed to Zee's place before he could leave for Amreeka. And we were hungry. Atleast I was. On our way in the metro, when I was warning Zee on the phone that he better have something for us to eat, otherwise he should get ready for a fridge raid, a pretty girl sitting beside me even offered me a full burger. And she wouldn't budge to my saying 'No'. So I ate it. How many times do you see that happening ?
We finally reached Zee's place and made hay till the loaf of Harvest Gold lasted. We even rationed off the little butter cubicle that was left.

This transformed me into a 3 year old tantrum-throwing kid. The tantrums did pay off though! And we finally bought a toaster during Diwali. And Ive been happily snacking myself on the produce.

P.S. I am feeling hungry now. Bread- Butter calling.
P.P.S. People who know me well, know that the way into my heart is through Toasted Bread! ;-)
P.P.P.S And for the final time.. NO.. I don't own a "Hello Kitty " Toaster!

1 comment:

Indrani said...

Simple joys of life!